After the Champions League group stage got under way midweek, we are set for another jam-packed weekend of domestic soccer across the European landscape. From the battle of Milan in Serie A to Chelsea taking on Liverpool in the Premier League, there are rivalry matchups all across the continent. Without further ado, here are the best bets for September 21-22.
AC Milan vs. Inter Milan
AC Milan will go level on points with rivals Inter Milan if they can win the 224th ‘official’ edition of the Milan Derby. Their 1-0 win last weekend made it three instances of that scoreline in as many 2019/20 Serie A games, and they have won at least one half 1-0 in four of their last five Serie A home fixtures.
Milan Team News
- Summer signing Ismaël Bennacer is struggling to nail down a regular starting berth for AC Milan, with Lucas Biglia ahead in the pecking order.
- Head Coach Marco Giampaolo is still trying to figure out the best positions for Hakan Calhanoglu, Suso and Lucas Paquetá.
- Summer arrival Ante Rebic is also a candidate for a starting spot, while Samu Castillejo is out of favor.
Inter Team News
- Stefano Sensi and Marcelo Brozovic should be safe to start in midfield, thus leaving Matías Vecino and Nicolò Barella to battle for one spot.
- Lautaro Martinez is expected to play, as well, while Alexis Sanchez should get a chance in the second half.
- No rest for Romelu Lukaku, who is the most difficult player to replace for Antonio Conte.
AC Milan has won successive matches, albeit against newly promoted teams, and they struggled in each match. AC Milan struggled to break down Verona last weekend, even though they had 10 men and required a penalty to win. At home to Slavia Prague was expected to be Inter’s easiest game of their Champions League group, but they ended up drawing 1-1. The only positive for Antonio Conte is that Inter has a lot of time to make up for it. Inter has played good football at times, while Milan appears to be still searching for the right tactics. Inter has sometimes struggled to execute Conte’s tactics but are further ahead in their project than Milan and are therefore favorites.