The new 2019 soccer campaign is in full force, as every major domestic league across Europe will officially be kicked off this weekend. There is a loaded slate highlighted by superstars Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Mo Salah. Continue reading for our breakdowns of the biggest matchup in Serie A, La Liga and the Premier League. Without further ado, here are our best bets of the weekend across Europe.
Parma vs. Juventus
Reigning champions Juventus start their run for a ninth consecutive Serie A title in Parma, where they have lost just two of the last seven league meetings (W3, D2, L2). The visitors won 75% of away league matches last season when they started as favorites (W12, D1, L3), including the one in Parma.
Parma Team News
- Parma head coach Roberto D’Aversa should have a full squad to pick from for their season opener and will field his best XI here.
- Three new players are expected to start: Vincent Laurini, Yann Karamoh and Hernani.
Juventus Team News
- Maurizio Sarri may not be able to attend his first official game in charge of Juventus after being diagnosed with pneumonia.
- Paulo Dybala is rumored to be part of a swap deal involving Inter striker Mauro Icardi, but the Argentinian has a chance to start as long as he remains at the club.
- Despite returning to Juventus over the summer, Gianluigi Buffon will start on the bench against his former club Parma.
Parma strengthened their squad over the summer and will hope to be more than just a counter-attacking team this season. Juventus appointed former Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri as their new head coach over the summer and signed several new players. Winning remains their main objective. It might take some time for Juventus to completely adapt to Sarri’s way of playing, which gives any of Juventus’ early opponents a chance of some success.
Click to Page 2 for a top-flight Premier League matchup between Liverpool and Arsenal.