Well, soccer fans, it’s finally time for another English Premier League campaign. There are a ton of compelling storylines to pay attention to this season, as each club enters the year with a clean slate and an opportunity to climb to the top of the standings. We are here to get you ready for the Premier League opening day with our best bets across the full slate of games.
Of course, the main topic of conversation will be the ongoing battle between two-time defending champs Manchester City and last year’s runner-up Liverpool. The Reds are reigning Champions League title holders, but they are definitely going to want to add to the trophy case by taking the domestic crown in 2019-20.
Without further ado, here are our best bets of the weekend, including two Manchester clubs and a Tottenham team dealing with a bunch of roster issues.
West Ham United vs. Manchester City
West Ham ended last season with three-straight wins to nail a top-half finish but must start the new campaign against reigning champions Manchester City – a team the ‘Hammers’ have lost seven consecutive head-to-heads against (all competitions), conceding over 3.5 goals in four of those games.
West Ham Team News
- Manuel Pellegrini is without Mark Noble for the welcome of Manchester City, which is a blow for the Hammers.
- However, better news is that Lukasz Fabianski passed his fitness test and will start for West Ham.
- There should be competitive debuts for Pablo Fornals and Sebastien Haller here, as well.
Manchester City Team News
- Leroy Sane was forced off in the first half of Manchester City’s Community Shield win over Liverpool at the weekend and joins Benjamin Mendy on the sidelines.
- Aymeric Laporte and Fernandinho will be assessed closer to kick off after both missed the season curtain raiser at Wembley.
- Ederson is set to start in goal after Claudio Bravo started the shootout triumph against Liverpool.
West Ham face a daunting task to start the season in Saturday’s early kick off. The Hammers have fared poorly in their recent meetings with Manchester City, having lost the last four league encounters, conceding 11 goals in the process. Manchester City’s season started with silverware, as they beat Liverpool on penalties to lift the Community Shield on Sunday. With Liverpool in action on Friday, Pep Guardiola’s side are likely to need a win to ensure they don’t suffer a stuttering start to their title defense. Aymeric Laporte’s possible absence could see West Ham score, but City have the means to come away with victory on Premier League opening day.
Click to Page 2 for Tottenham versus Aston Villa.